Sunday, April 16, 2017

No More Blues (Chega de Saudade) (Hendricks/Cavanaugh)

'Chega de Saudade' was composed by Brazilian legends Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinícius de Moraes. The song was first cut in 1958 by Elizete Cardoso, but João Gilberto's second take is the more famous one. It is often considered to be the first recorded bossa nova song.

Lyrics were later added by Jon HENDRICKS & Jessie CAVANAUGH as 'No More Blues':

No more blues, I'm goin' back home
No, no more blues, I promise no more to roam
Home is where the heart is, the funny part is
My heart's been right there all along


No more tears, and no more sighs
No, no more fears, I'll say no more goodbye's
If travel beckons me, I swear I'm gonna refuse
I'm gonna settle down, and there'll be no more blues


Everyday while I am far away
My thoughts turn homeward, forever homeward
I've traveled 'round the world in search of happiness
But all the happiness I've found was in my hometown


No more blues, I'm goin' back home
No, no more dues, I'm through with all my wandering
Now I'll settle down, live my life and build a home
And find a wife/man, when we settle down
There'll be no more blues, nothing but happiness
When we settle down, there'll be no more blues



Recordings exist by The Hi-Lo's (1963), Jon Hendricks, Roseanne Vitro, Hanne Boel, Susannah McCorkle, Marjorie Barnes, Walker & Kays, Ranee Lee, Lils Mackintosh, Bonnie Jensen, Jane Monheit, Sarah Partridge, Karen Egert, Lydia Gray w/ Ed Eastridge, The Idea of North (w/add. lyr.), Roberta Gambarini, Christine Rosholt, Simone Kopmajer, Victoria Phillips, Jenny Davis, Perpetuum Jazzile (w/add. lyr.), Sophie Milman, Young Voices Brandenburg, Helen Welch, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment