Sunday, April 16, 2017

Carnival (Manhã de Carnaval) (Peretti, Creatore, Weiss)

'Manhã de Carnaval' (Morning of Carnival) is the most popular song by Brazilian composer Luiz Bonfá and lyricist Antônio Maria. It appears in multiple scenes in the 1959 film 'Orfeu Negro' (Black Orpheus) by French director Marcel Camus, including versions sung or hummed by both the principal characters (Orfeu and Euridice), as well as an instrumental version, so that the song has been described as the "main" musical theme of the film (aka 'Theme from Black Orpheus' or simply 'Black Orpheus').

Lyrics were added by Hugo PERETTI, Luigi CREATORE & George David WEISS as 'Carnival':

I'll sing to the sun in the sky, I'll sing till the sun rises high,
Carnival time is here, magical time of year,
And as the time draws near, dreams lift my heart!


I'll sing as I play my guitar, I'll cling to a dream from afar,
Will love come my way, this Carnival day, and stay here in my heart?

Will true love come my way, on this Carnival day,
Or will I be alone with my dream?


Recordings exist by: Ames Brothers (1960), Ginny Arnell, Nina & Frederik, Perry Como, Cliff Richard, Joanie Sommers, Vikki Carr, Aziza Mustafa Zadeh, Victor Fields, Connie Evingson, etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment